Wine.com API A Commercial Success
Wine.com is the nation’s #1 online wine retailer, according to Internet Retailer magazine’s annual ranking of websites by revenue. The site offers thousands of wines, wine gifts, gift baskets and monthly wine clubs. Their mission is to be the ultimate resource for wine enthusiasts, whether shopping for themselves or sending a gift, by offering a great selection, low prices, convenient delivery and helpful information.
Wine.com needed cloud API management from a provider that could deliver a combination of services enabling the deployment, intermediation, governance, registration, tracking, reporting and securing of its Web API.
- The 3scale team provided strategic counsel for planning, deploying, and managing the Wine.com API initiative.
- Dev portal
- Power and flexibility for effective distribution and enhanced application performance for geographically dispersed customers of Web, social and mobile apps.
The goal of Wine.com’s Public API is to provide developers access to its extensive catalog of wine and ￼￼￼wine-related content in a way that is open and easy to use. The API is built using REST principles, and developers can retrieve content in either XML or JSON format.
- Take advantage of new digital channels without additional IT resources
- Create brand awareness
- Support flexible range of educational and revenue-driving apps through affiliate model
- Mobile enable in-app commerce for select partners
“We were looking for a cloud solution that would provide rapid integration and speed distribution.”
— Cam Fortin, Business Development
Wine.com investigated several platform providers in search of a cloud solution that would provide rapid integration and speed distribution. Because Wine.com targets emerging marketing communication and e-commerce channels such as social and mobile, they appreciated 3scale as both an infrastructure provider and also for strategic counsel for planning, deploying, and managing the Wine.com API initiative.
For example, Wine.com wanted a portal for developers to make it simpler to learn how to explore, test and debug their particular app. 3scale provided the power and flexibility they anticipated for effective distribution and enhanced application performance for geographically dispersed customers of Web, social and mobile apps.
Wine.com’s API initiative continues to ramp up with exponential success, requiring project and product management similar to that of a full-blown Web application. The API initiative continues to ramp up with exponential success.
- Achieved >600 registered users
- E-retailers are embracing mobile iPhone apps >200k hits per month
- Great variety of creative wine discovery apps such as personal recommendations